Thursday, December 01, 2011

The thought that life could be better is woven indelibly into our hearts and our brains

Paul Simon performed in Durham tonight.

For all the lyrics I don't know (plus the lyrics I don't know I don't know) I'm rock solid on Paul Simon.  Maybe more rock solid than Paul Simon.  He mixed up some lyrics during one song (it was not part of a new arrangement).

I discovered Simon and Garfunkel in a pile of records in our living room in the early nineties.  I was incredibly taken by the lyrics.  Just like any teen, I was looking for my voice. The words and stories in his songs were poetic, clever and insightful and became the "Chicken Noodle Soup" for my adolescent soul.

A few decades go by and it's tonight.  In one ear I'm hearing the words and remembering what they meant meant to me at 15.  In the other ear I'm listening to it as my present 34 year old self.

At times there is great harmony - The songs "mean" the same thing.  So much of it is timeless though I do wonder "Was I an incredibly wise teenager?" or if I just still think like one.

Other songs carry new and different meaning for me.  Probably has something to do with the passing of 20 years and all the life I've lived.

Past and present Jamie were most stirred by "Train in the Distance."
I'll save the reasons for my memoir.

The verse below was particularly poignant.

What is the point of this story 
What information pertains
The thought that life could be better
Is woven indelibly
Into our hearts
And our brains


The thought that "life could be better" is loaded with sadness and regret but at the same time it's incredibly optimistic and hopeful.

1 comment:

southport1 said...

one of his best songs i think