Thursday, April 21, 2011

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing

I'm in the home stretch of my Philosophy of Religion class at UNC.  We're in the "The Meaning and Absurdity of Life" section of the syllabus. 

I just finished up and article by Michael Smith called "Is That All there Is?"  He spends a lot of time taking issue with a different point of view held by Joel Feinberg.  So much time that I have to wonder if these two didn't go to grade school together and Joel beat up Michael.

At the end of the article, Smith uses the following song (lyrics) to make a point about acquiring evaluative beliefs but not being able to sustain any of them.  How to deal with this predicament?  It's in the chorus

Is that all there is?  Is that all there is?
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing

Fantastic idea, Peggy Lee.

Every now and then swing dancing gets me out of my head and into the moment.  A lovely feeling that is best obtained by not seeking it, yet allowing it.  At first I characterized it as an escape but now I've made it a destination.

No comments: