Thursday, March 03, 2011

CrossFitting

One of my 2011 New Year's resolutions was not to lose any weight but to gain muscle, tone & definition.  I think I've found a way to achieve this resolution - CrossFit - a workout program that really jives with my own personal philosophies about wellness.  I'm most intrigued by the variation, focus on movements and the "groupness" of it.  Folks motivate each other and compete.  The coaches push.  I took me a while to be "okay" with this aspect.  I've always prided myself on motivation from within but the truth is it's just not there right now.

Several of my dance pals are already enrolled in this program and it was hard to ignore their rave reviews.  I'm starting with something called Foundations.  Just learning the basic moves.  I'm working with Ashely and she is all about form.  I love that.  

There is so much variation.  One activity is hitting a tire with a sledgehammer.  I can't wait for that.  In the meantime, it's all about squats.  

There's nothing too bad-ass about the video below but visuals are good, so here you go. 


Note my socks.  You're supposed to be on your heels for squats.  Sneakers don't help with that.  I'll be busting out the Vibrams next time.

In 2008 one of my New Year's Resolutions was to do a pull-up.  Never got there.  I think I will.  Curious how or if this will affect my dancing.  There's a gymnastics aspect that might help with aerials.

CrossFit Durham is located in the Trotter Building in downtown Durham.  This is also the same building where I take a dance class on Wednesday nights and social dance on Thursday nights (Hot Club).  So, it might be a home away from home.  Heck, that's better than a Hyatt in Ohio.

I did a morning workout and evening dance class the same day this week.  The term "squat" was used several times during both occasions.  I might reach a max on the number of times I can respond to that word in the Trotter building.  Incidentally, I also had my UNC class that same day.  My brain and body were good and tired at the end of that day.

Excited about this venture.

1 comment:

Susan Mo said...

I do hope you like it as much as I do. It is such a unique challenge. I thought I would not be able to do bootcamp, then I thought I would never be able to do an actual WOD. The group is so amazing - supportive and wonderful. I never thought I would find that either. Looking forward to working out and taking this journey with you!