Sunday, October 24, 2010

“a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

A new Woody Allen film comes out.  I see it.  That must be the New Yorker in me.  I remember arriving at the Galaxy (indie movie theater in Cary) early to see the "premiere" of Match Point.  Ended up being me and four other people.  Sigh.

I was able to get a few friends to join me a the Carolina Theater in Durham (a cool destination in and of itself) to see "You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger." on Sunday.


I felt very happy the moment the black and white credits in the "Woody Allen" font appeared.  Going into the movie I wondered what young attractive actress would be Allen's love interest in the film.  I saw "Naomi Watts" and I thought I had it figured out.  Turns out Woody Allen isn't in this one (though the movie does include the requisite older man younger woman couple - just not featuring WA/NW.)

 There was a snippet of music played repeatedly that really made me want to hear the rest of it and dance.  Fellow swing dancer Colin was feeling it too.  There was a stage on this theater and with a drink (or three), a dare and the cooperation of Colin we might have "Lindy Bombed" the movie.

The song sounded remarkably like "Louisiana Fairytale" (one of my favorite swing dancing songs ever) but wasn't.  Just enough notes to make me think I was going to hear the rest of it.  The snippet was from "If I Had You" by Benny Goodman.

It was driving me a little nuts and as soon as I got home I had to listen to both songs from start to finish.

Now I just need to dance to one of the songs from start to finish.  Just my luck that one of the pals who joined at the movie (Ken) is the DJ @ Hot Club of Durham this week so perhaps (pretty please Ken) I'll have the opportunity.

No comments: