Tuesday, October 28, 2008

T-shirt with a passport

On Mt. Kilimanjaro, I passed someone with a "Carolina" t-shirt and of course I was like "I'm from there!"

When I was in Africa I noticed several of the locals wearing t-shirts that clearly came from the United States (by "came from", I mean mostly likely purchased and worn in the US, I'm not talking about raw materials or manufacturing, necessarily).

If you've ever wondered how a Carolina t-shirt gets from a shop in Chapel Hill to Mt. Kilimanjaro, or, if you've ever wondered how the shirt gets to the shop in Chapel Hill in the first place, go read "Travels of A T-Shirt in a Global Economy."

This book was the common reading at Carleton College this year and the North Carolina Carleton College Book Club read discussed it tonight.

No comments: