Thursday, October 16, 2008

Day Twelve Trip

Teri and I are back in the comforts of our luxurious hotel.

Don’t we look all Spa-licous in our robes and white clothes? At the very end of the video I mention a certificate. Teri actually did get a certificate for completing the climb. At this point, however, the certificate is still blank (our guide will fill it out later) and I wonder how mad Teri would be if I filled it out with my name. He He. I don’t, of course.

Later that day, our guide, Nicky comes by our hotel and takes us around Arusha for a few hours.

I didn’t realize it, but there is public transportation in Arusha. You stand on the side of the road and maybe one of the mini buses (which doesn’t look any different than the private mini buses) picks you up. And maybe it doesn’t. But should you get on, there is a route. And it’s very cheap. Cool.

No matter where I travel, taking public transportation contributes to my sense of being and experiencing the place.

We wander around Arusha. We head to the market and Teri gets some fresh ground coffee. I haven’t really sparked to souvenirs this trip – in part it’s because the vendors are so aggressive. I think about going to Starbucks, pouring the coffee grains in plastic bags and passing it off as a souvenir. Certainly would be easier than traveling with the coffee for the rest of the trip (and getting it through customs).


Nicky takes us to what is pretty much a diner for lunch. I love getting Pepsi in a glass bottle.

How far is NC from Arusha? Which way?

No comments: