Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"The guy above me is married and the guy below me is a stalker."

My place of work was visited by Dan Heath, co-author of a book called "Made to Stick." The book is about effective communication - ideas that stick.

My favorite example of a sticky idea was Dan's reference to the headlines that are used on Match.com.

You know, that one witty line that appears underneath your username above your picture that is designed to entice people to click and learn more?

C'mon, most of you probably know what I'm talking about.

This is the line that people use to attract a soul mate. High stakes.

And yet, here's what some online daters do with that real estate:

"Hey..."

But the guy who wrote this headline? He gets the girl.

"The guy above me is married and the guy below me is a stalker."

Now that's sticky. Point taken.

No comments: